Taco night is a favorite around here. But once the pre-holiday diet madness started, I figured no más tacos para mí.
Not so fast.
Inspired by a recipe in Women’s Health magazine, I whipped up this tasty taco salad that kept me satisfied long after the dish hit the washer.
I made a few modifications here and there based on my likes and what I actually had on hand. Instead of salsa I sautéed some onions and added cilantro. Women’s Health suggests adding a ½ cup chopped yellow peppers, which I don’t care for. But no matter what you do, this is the perfect everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of dish. And it lends itself nicely to leftovers.
Guess what I’m having for lunch today?!
Tasty Taco Salad
Taco salad turns Taco Tuesday into a grain-free zone.
- 4 ounces ground turkey, prepared with packaged taco seasoning
- 2-4 tablespoons reserved cooking liquid
- ¼ cups black beans, drained
- ¼ cup sautéed onions
- 1 ½ cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared guacamole
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips (optional)
- Chop all vegetables before measuring.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir lightly until combined.
- Add additional cooking liquid as desired for a salad-dressing effect.
Jersey Girl Cooks says
I love taco salads! Isn’t this the same as a naked burrito? LOL!
Ha! Naked burrito is a MUCH better name!
This is how I like my taco salad (minus the ground turkey these days)! You are right, no need to pass up taco night when you have a salad like this. I love everything in yours and I think you’ve just inspired me to have a Taco Tuesday this week (my kids are new taco lovers!)
Great blog! Came over from Jersey Girl Cooks! She’s one of my first blogging buddies…you’ve got yourself a great adoptor! 🙂
The Gonzo Gourmet says
Hi Aggie – Thanks for stopping by! So jealous your kids love tacos, I cannot convince little gonzo girl to even try one bite.
I love tacos and have never thought to add veggies and make it kind of like fajita taco salad. Will definitely try this soon!!
I like to make my own taco seasoning and keep it in a jar. You can reduced the sodium, and I like to make mine a little spicier.