Today is National Chili Day, who knew?! My husband recently won a local chili cook-off with a Texas-style chili. My chili, on the other hand, is not exactly poised to win any cook-offs, local or otherwise, but it’s still a household favorite.
It freezes well, comes together quickly, relies on pantry items … in other words, it’s reliable.
Quick Gluten-Free Turkey Chili
Perfect comfort food: nourishing, low-fat and hearty. This also freezes well; try individual 2-cup portions.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 15.25-ounce can whole kernel corn
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 15.25-ounce can kidney beans
- ¼ cup chili seasoning
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the turkey and brown until cooked through.
- Sitr in the canned vegetables, including their canning liquid.
- Stir in the water and chili spices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over low heat. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl says
Honestly, I wish every day was National Chili Day! I love it with turkey so this recipe is A+. Thanks for sharing it.
Suzanne Miller says
I just made your chili for a party and all the kids told their parents my chili was better than theirs and I got many requests for the recipe. I was actually embarrassed to tell them how easy it was!
Thanks Lisa, I love your photos and your scrumptious recipes