Homemade chocolate ice cream is one of those things that seems like it should be challenging or take too much time when it fact it’s super easy and takes about 30 minutes (plus a few hours resting time). And nothing, and I mean nothing, brings in the raves like a bowl of homemade chocolate ice cream.
If you grew up hand cranking your mother’s ice cream maker fear not: Cuisinart makes a fantastic one for around $50, no cranking required. Sure, you need room in your freezer for the canister, but this time of year my freezer is pretty much empty, what with all the fresh fruits and vegetables crowding my countertops.
This recipe couldn’t be easier. Just whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar and some cocoa powder with a pinch of salt. Add a few cups of cream plus one cup milk (I use 1%; whole milk would be even better) and a bit of vanilla and you’re good to go. Let the base rest in the refrigerator for a few hours, then allow 20 minutes before serving for the ice cream maker to do its magic. I will say, it is a noisy device, but if you have kids in your house hollering for ice cream, they’re probably drowning out the machine’s noise anyway. Let’s eat!
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Add the cocoa, sugars and salt to a large plastic sealable container. Whisk together to combine.
- Whisk in the milk, cream and vanilla. Stir to combine until the sugars and cocoa have dissolved.
- Seal the container and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Set up the ice cream maker, then pour the mixture into the freezer bowl. Turn on the ice cream maker and mix about 20 minutes, until thick.
- Transfer the ice cream to a clean plastic container and store covered, in the freezer, until ready to serve.
I should get my ice cream maker out and get at it – homemade is SO delicious…
Lisa Dearen says
Most grocery store ice cream upsets my stomach, but homemade, in small portions, is perfect.
Jersey Girl Cooks says
Love homemade ice cream. I better not show my chocolate fanatic son this picture. He will want me to make some immediately.
Lisa Dearen says
My daughter asks for it all summer long, my husband too. It’s a household favorite!
Kim | Mom, Can I Have That? says
You are right – chocolate ice cream is easy to make but not everyone makes a good chocolate ice cream! I love how you used brown sugar in this. It adds such a nice flavor! Thanks for a great recipe.