In the summer and warmer months (i.e., all year long in San Diego) I layer everything on a bed of salad greens. For a heartier meal, I use gluten-free grains instead. Or, when I’m feeling really crazy, or I’m just eager to clean out my fridge, I use greens and grains. Crazy, I know.
This salad is a great example of the marriage of balsamic vinegar and strawberries. We’re still enjoying our strawberries here in San Diego, but sometimes we need to do something with them besides dunk them in yogurt or purée them in protein shakes. Pack this salad for your next picnic, or serve it al fresco on the backyard patio. Don’t forget the white wine. Let’s eat!
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup good quality olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 4 cups spring greens, chopped
- ½ cup strawberries, diced
- ¼ sliced almonds
- Combine everything in a glass jar with a screw-top lid.
- Screw the top on tight and shake until combined.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the balsamic dressing and season with salt.
- Serve immediately.