Every once in a while I like to shake things up in the kitchen, testing out a new take on an old favorite. In this case, steak. We are red meat eaters in my household, although we’ve cut back to once a week or once every other week.
Usually it’s a filet or flank steak but this recipe from Everyday Food’s Sarah Carey encouraged me to try something new: skirt steak.
Skirt steak is a lean, flavorful cut of meat that holds its own against a bold marinade. This cilantro buttermilk marinade is easily a new household favorite, and as you can see in Sarah’s video, it comes together in a flash. Now the only question that remains is what to do with that leftover buttermilk? Maybe these gluten-free buttermilk biscuits. Hmmm…
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 3 scallions
- 1 pound skirt steak
- Salt and pepper
- Add the buttermilk, cilantro, spices and scallions to a blender and puree until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside a ½ cup of the marinade for dipping.
- Place the steak into a plastic bag or sealable bowl and pour the rest of the marinade over the steak. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan over high heat for 6-8 minutes, until piping hot. Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Grill steak 2-4 minutes per side until medium rare.
- Rest the steak on a cutting board for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved marinade.
OK, that’s it – I have been dying to try skirt steak for a couple years now and here’s my recipe –
Lisa Dearen says
Yay Liz! I hadn’t tried skirt steak before either. Flank steak is kind of our week-day go to. Hope you like it!
Jersey girl cooks says
I have a sirloin steak in the fridge and this will be a perfect marinade. I just put buttermilk and cilantro on my grocery list. Thanks!
Lisa Dearen says
Lisa I think you’ll love the marinade, it’s so refreshing.
Laura @ Family Spice says
Okay, I’ve heard of herb marinades with vinegar, but not with buttermilk! Will have to try this during our summer bbq!