I have a confession to make: I had absolutely no clue about who was playing whom in the Super Bowl yesterday. (Although I was jazzed to see Madonna perform! See, I knew that much at least.) What I was excited about was spending the afternoon with friends. After all, the Super Bowl is nothing if not a legitimate reason to enjoy a beer or two before the more civilized hour of 5:00.
My friend Jessica had a Mexican theme going with fajitas on the grill and margaritas by the pitcher. So naturally my thoughts turned to chips and guacamole. And while I didn’t have time for a run to my favorite farmer’s market for my fave chips and guac, I did have a passel of fresh avocados ripening on my counter.
The caveat? I only had five, not nearly enough to make guacamole for a block party. However, I also had a Costco-sized container of cottage cheese. Armed with a recipe from my favorite vegetarian cookbook, Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites: Flavorful Recipes for Healthful Meals, I made enough low-fat, high-protein guacamole for an army. All with only five avocados. Not bad for a girl who doesn’t know her Patriots from her Giants.
- 5 ripe avocados, flesh removed
- 2 ½ cups low-fat cottage cheese
- Juice from 3 limes
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Generous handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red peppers
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, pulse until smooth.
- Serve with tortilla chips or even carrots and celery sticks.