Summer is here! Yes, I know, it’s “here” for you, most likely for a month or so at this point. But San Diego suffers from May Gray and June Gloom so when I say summer is now here, I mean the gloom is gone, the sun is out and there are sun burns to be had!
Summer is also the time to say thanks to Mother Nature for all that fabulous produce she shares with us. Sweet corn, tangy berries, crisp lettuces, juicy watermelon – oh my. And oh: tomatoes.
So in lieu of actually cooking, by which I mean turning on the oven, let’s dust off our salad bowls, open up the crisper and leave the oven in the official position of summer: off.
Most salads are a come-as-you-are affair, meaning you simply dump every bit of lettuce, berry, protein, soft cheese and basic vinaigrette that you have on hand into said salad bowl. A few sliced almonds would be nice, or maybe some walnuts. If you have basil, all the better.
So be nice to your kitchen. Turn off the oven, eat salad! Here are a few recipes to get you started:
- Corn & tomato salad from yours truly
- Lentil & barley Greek salad from Kalyn’s Kitchen (gluten-free fix: use buckwheat instead of barley)
- Watermelon, feta & arugula salad from Jersey Girl Cooks
- Quinoa salmon salad from Gluten-Free Girl & the Chef
- Rainbow chard with raisins from Liz the Chef
- Roasted fingerling potato salad with lemon & thyme from Family Spice
- Moroccan black garbanzo, pepper, and orange salad from Recipe Renovator
- Pearl barley vegetable salad from California Greek Girl (gluten-free fix: use buckwheat instead of barley)