This endlessly adaptable recipe is perfect any time of day. In addition to herbs, you could add any cooked chopped vegetables or protein you have on hand. Serve with fruit and toast for an elegant breakfast, or toss together a quick salad for a light lunch or dinner.
While this recipe serves one, simply repeat the process below for additional guests, arranging the ramekins atop a jelly roll pan before placing in the oven. You may need to extend cooking time slightly; start checking after 15 minutes or so.
Baked Eggs with Herbs
2 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs; basil, parsley, dill or chives work nicely
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Coat a 6- or 10-ounce ramekin with a light application of butter or olive oil.
- Crack two eggs into the ramekin. Top with milk, herbs, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the ramekin on the middle rack of the oven; bake for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are slightly set.
- Serve with toast wedges and fruit for breakfast, or salad for a light supper.