This little sauce was an unexpected surprise. Not only did it come together easily, but it was very affordable, costing no less than a jar of artichokes and half a head of garlic. Plus the pasta, of course. And with a light zap in the microwave the next day, it tasted as good as new.
I found this recipe in Women’s Health magazine, one of my favorite monthly mags thanks to their super healthy, innovative recipes. It doesn’t hurt that Mark Bittman is a regular contributor.
Gluten-free update: Use your favorite gluten-free spaghetti in this recipe.
Artichoke Heart Sauce
1 14-16 ounce can or jar of artichoke hearts
1 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound regular or gluten-free spaghetti
- Prepare the spaghetti according to package.
- Drain the artichoke hearts, reserving the liquid.
- Puree the artichoke hearts until smooth, adding the reserved liquid as needed to create a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. The olive oil is warm once it moves like water in the skillet.
- Add the salt and garlic, and sauté until the garlic begins to brown. Add the artichoke heart paste and continue to heat until warmed through.
- Serve over pasta.
Adapted from a recipe from Women’s Health magazine.