There are as many methods for chopping onions as there are cooks; this is my favorite.
1. Place the onion on a sturdy cutting board. Using a sharp knife, slice off the pointy end of the onion.
2. Stand the onion on the cutting board, using the newly cut end as the base, and cut a clean slice through the center of the onion, starting at the root. Remove the skin of the onion.
3. Place one half of the onion on its side and, holding the root firmly, make horizontal slices about 1/4″ wide. This determines the size of your pieces. Stop before hitting the root.
4. Now make vertical slices about 1/4″ apart; again, this determines the size of your dice. Start at the root but don’t slice through the root.
5. Finally, make vertical slices at a 90° angle to the previous cut, revealing perfectly diced onion bits.