Fresh sweet corn, creamy avocado, plump tomatoes and smoky bacon. What’s not to love about this salad, adapted from Gaby Dalkin’s new book, Absolutely Avocados?! Gaby is truly passionate about avocados and highlights her love of this gorgeous gift of nature with 80 “amazing avocado recipes for every meal of the day.”
I’m super excited to share this recipe with you for a few reasons. One, it’s awesome. Two, Gaby is awesome! I first met her at, naturally, an avocado farm tour last year, and I’ve followed her blog, What’s Gaby Cooking, ever since. It’s amazing what this woman can do with avocados! We caught up this spring at the Big Traveling Potluck, then again a few months ago when she was in San Diego as part of her book tour. Pick up a copy of her book, or enter below to win your very own copy!
This is a great recipe for your end-of-summer BBQs and fits perfectly with the theme of this month’s Salad Bar, a blog hop organized by Wendy of The Weekend Gourmet that highlights some of the blogosphere’s most tempting salad recipes. So if you love avocados and you love a good cookbook, be sure to whip up this recipe before summer comes to an end, and check out Gaby’s cookbook. Let’s eat!
- 5 strips bacon
- 6 ears corn, husks removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 2 ounces feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Reed or Haas avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook the bacon according to package directions; optionally, you can microwave the bacon.
- Cut the kernels off each ear of corn using a sharp knife. Warm the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, and sauté the corn kernels until golden brown, about five minutes.
- Allow the corn kernels and the bacon to cool before proceeding.
- Combine the corn kernels, bacon and tomatoes in a medium bowl. Crumble in the feta cheese, add the basil and toss to combine.
- Prepare the avocado: cut in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Peel the skin from the avocado meat, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Gently fold the avocado into the salad, squeeze the lemon juice over the salad and serve immediately.
If you love this recipe, you’ll love this giveaway – enter to win a copy of Gaby Dalkin’s book, Absolutely Avocados!